Friday, March 6, 2015

List of Artists

UPDATE 11/9/2015:
It's been a long time since I've done commissions, so some of this information may be outdated. I've removed some artists that I thought were inactive or maybe not quite as good as the others. Again, since this is a monstergirl-oriented list, I'm fairly certain these artists all do mosntergirls. Most do NSFW as well.


I know finding good artists to commission can be difficult, especially for monstergirls where the anatomy is particularly challenging and all the resident drawfags (mono, Mari, Loen) are already completely booked or otherwise unavailable.

DISCLAIMER: Besides the three artists I personally worked with, I know NOTHING about these artists besides what's stated on their pages. Most of the comments here are my impressions, nothing more, nothing less. I encourage you to contact the artists if you want to know more and take nothing here as gospel.

I worked with 3 different artists (the third has yet to deliver) and researched many more. I want to share my experience and research so other people can benefit from it. I've got a few different priorities when looking for/judging an artist: skill/style (I was mostly looking for anime/far eastern style artists, but western can be okay too), availability (do I have to wait 2 weeks while they get through a queue 30 people deep or can they start working the day I give my request?), price (does the price double for a second character? Is color affordable? Does cost match skill?), attitude/work ethic (are they going to be dragging their feet and making excuses or get to it? Do they communicate enough?).

EUDETENIS :
Probably the most skilled artist out of all the artists I looked at, with reasonable prices for her ability. She doesn't do her commissions  as you might typically think. She does 3-4 slots a day and spends all weekend doing commissions on stream. I waited a little under 2 weeks to have mine done. I didn't watch her draw it myself, but I would imagine she'll take input while she works. While she's a bit light on the communication, she talks to you as much as she needs to, offering a rough sketch then some back-and-forth while you work out the details. For me this happened the day before she started drawing. She also shows the list of people she's doing commissions for the current day so you know about what time of day yours will be done. Also, she had a very clear, helpful chart with examples of all of her prices and drawing options.

Magnifire :
I picked him because I liked a few of his other pictures, but it turned out he was also very quick-working and maintained steady, helpful communication. While Eudetenis was the better artist, I'd much rather commission from him again. I waited 8 days to get the finished product, but he replied to the initial request quicker than anyone else and told me about when he'd be able to start on mine. I wouldn't say I'm 100% satisfied with the drawing (Val's expression looks a little vacant and her body language isn't completely into it) but it's still awfully good and he offered a very fair price for his work. He's also done monstergirls in the past, so if you're looking to commission one, I'd recommend him.

LiquidMark :
The third artist I commissioned. Seems like a pretty cool guy. A decent amount of communication. Most of the time when there were delays, he told me why, and they weren't just excuses, they were actual reasons. He's tried to accommodate my request, despite its difficulty (it's more difficult than the other 2 commissions). Hasn't complained about it at all. Price is maybe a little high compared to an identical commission from another artist of similar skill, but I liked his flavor of western style. Despite all these positives, however, he just hasn't delivered. It's been a month and a half now since I paid. For 3 of those weeks, he had legitimate reasons for delays, but I feel like enough time has passed for him to at least show a sketch or communicate something more to me without me having to ask first. Don't have anything personal against him, I just want what I paid for. I'd still probably recommend him for people looking for a western-style image, as long as you don't have a particularly challenging request.

Here are the other artists I considered but never actually worked with in no particular order (most of these artists are open to NSFW requests):
less - consistently skilled drawings at a good price, but there's a bit of a waitlist. If you're willing to wait, I would recommend him. Has said he's not interested in drawing manticores anymore.
cherryinthesun - looks incredibly skilled, especially with color, and always had a commission slot open, but just too pricey (150$ for what I wanted) for me. Part of that price is probably for her availability.
emperpep - liked his skill, and seemed available, but again, too pricey.
razadrazartsu - pretty good prices, but I simply couldn't get a good gauge of her skill and if she'd pull off my request how I wanted it. Very nearly commissioned her.
ekalos - Great artist. Would've commissioned him, but he opens slots monthly, which means if you don't get your request early on in the month, you're going to have to wait till the next month, and even then it's not guarenteed. Prices looked pretty good, as long as you stick to 1 character.
Fizzz - Western style artist. Wasn't all that interested in western style, but if I was and hadn't found liquidmark, I probably would've gone with him. Good prices.
Grillo - He's not as good as cherryinthesun or Eudetenis, but he's still pretty good and charges like half of what they do. I didn't find him until I'd already submitted my three requests, but I would've picked him as my third if I knew about him.
Ryumo - drew a ushi-oni commission. Looks pretty good. After glancing at her prices, they do seem to get expensive for more detailed/colored pieces, but the skill looks to match the price. No NSFW from what I can tell.
tscbr - Looking at his art, some of his characters look a tad scrawny, but there are some fantastic pieces there too. For the price, I would definitely say he's worth it.
Nayuruu - Not much to say here. Another option with good prices and fairly skilled from his pictures. Communication was a bit slow when I tried talking with him.
Kukuruyo - Looks to have some experience with monstergirls. Pretty thick lines; it's a style I like but maybe some aren't as interested. Cheap prices for full shaded coloring.
Jenna - Drew some really nice manticore pictures. A unique and pleasing style. From those who have commissioned her, however, impressions have been "mixed" based on responsiveness.
osiimi-chan - Looks very good. Good quality, good prices, and from what I've heard she's fairly responsive.
Lightsource - Style is distinctive, characters look more round, I think. Bit more experience with monstergirls and nonhuman anatomy than most.
Figgotry - Drawfag who did some monster musume stuff. One of the cheaper ones but really no drop in quality.

How did I find most of these people? Google. There are 3 sites I searched, HF, DA, and pixiv, using this exact search phrase:
site:whatever.com "commissions"
whatever.com being which of the 3 sites I wanted to search. I also tried "commission".

No comments:

Post a Comment